We met at Big Cat Brewing Company this month for our Monthly Meeting. Thanks to Aaron Ackley for being a great host. He cooked us food, let us sample his beer, and offered to conduct a group brew this January to fill our club barrel. Big Cat is a big supporter of the NMHG, hosted us on a day where the restaurant is closed. Thanks for taking the time to take care of us Aaron! We tried the club barley wine. MMMMMM OAKey!!
Items discussed at Sept. 19 NMHG meeting at Big Cat in Cedar:
1) Workshop invited us to do homebrew demonstrations on Oct. 30 as part of their block party. Further details unknown.
2) We received positive feedback on the TC summer microbrew festival homebrew competition and discussed options for the winter festival.
a) Emailing returnees a form they can show so they don’t have to fill out the paperwork again, as well as a reminder.
3) Oktoberfest will be Oct. 8 at Chain O Lakes campground in Bellaire. We’ll have a homebrew competition of our own (any style; winner gets next year’s due for free), brew on site, elect officers and choose a style for our group brew at Big Cat. Burgers and hot dogs will be supplied by the club for grilling. Bring cash to pay for cabins, which will be at a discounted rate, but we can’t guarantee how much (last year it was $10 a person).
4) Chuck’s treasurer’s report is that we have about $300 on hand in the club’s bank account.
5) Narrowed down style choices for the winter festival to the following: stout/porter, hefe/wit, red, rye or something made with Australian hops.
6) Upcoming events:
Oct. 8 – Oktoberfest party, Bellaire.
Oct. 30 – Homebrew demo at Workshop.
Nov. 7 – MiLocal hop farm tour.
Nov. 21 – Monthly meeting at Lake Ann Brewing.
Dec. 5 or 12 – Monthly meeting at Jolly Pumpkin.
Jan. 14 – Group brew at Big Cat.
7) Scott Zenner handed out prizes to homebrew competition winners.
Attendance: Jon Throop, Tom Haug, Chuck Green, James Cook, Craig Babiarz, Aaron Spangler (and wife Cass), Curtis Gulash, Eric Minnish, Scott Zenner, Chris Heyman, one other couple I didn’t know. I’m probably missing one or two others.